Monday, February 1, 2010

Migraine Madness

So, it is pretty common knowledge that I have problems with migraines. I started getting headaches around the age of 18, and have battled them for over TEN years now. (I guess that is revealing my true age). For a long time, I just dealt with my headaches and figured it was my lot in life. About 5 years ago I had a doctor that told me my headaches were migraines. Great news, right? If you know the problem you can fix it. I was able to manage my headaches with medication and trying to avoid triggers, but I found that the headaches continued and were seeming to become the norm. I saw a neurologist and tried several different prophylaxis medications, with marginal results. Worked day shift for 3 years (maybe night shifts caused my problems?)- headaches continued. Got braces for the 2nd time to adjust my bite- headaches continued. Went to the chiropractor- my neck would pop like crazy every time she did an adjustment, but headaches continued. I found myself at the point where I felt like a managed to get by with my work and family responsibilities, but headaches were slowly taking over my life.

The other day I was discussing my lack of a headache with my dad, and mentioned that I hadn't had a headache for a few days.... and I realized that living with headaches more often than not is no way to live life. At the same time, I felt I was at the end of my treatment options. So here is the reason for this post. My little sister found out recently that she has a gluten intolerance, and it was causing her quite a bit of grief. So I started researching celiac disease and gluten intolerance. I felt like I found quite a bit of evidence that some people that suffer from migraines related to gluten in their diets. I also discovered that actually diagnosing a gluten intolerance is not necessarily clear cut. So rather than have a bunch of tests ranging from blood draws to an intestinal biopsy, I decided to try going gluten free.

I quickly discovered that gluten is in practically EVERYTHING. Ok, not really, but it is not only found in obvious places like bread, but is used in a lot of foods as a binding agent. So today is day 2 of trying to be gluten free. So, why am I writing this? It is really for my benefit. I have learned that memory tends to be rather suggestive, and I want to keep an ongoing record of how I feel and if my headaches are improving. So far, my results have been 50/50. No headache yesterday, but I have my familiar little pain behind my right eye today... not bad, but definitely there.

Trying to cut out gluten is definitely not easy, but I feel like I owe it to myself and my quality of life to at least give it a chance. What do I have to lose besides headaches?

3 comments:

  1. I know I'm no medical expert, by any means, but I used to work with a woman who suffered from constant migraines as well. And I know this might sound odd, but I'm thinking it had some connection to her heart... like a hole in her heart. Anyway, I remember she had heart surgery and TA DA no more migraines. You may have aready ruled that possibility out, but if not: one more avenue to consider, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Leslie-
    Give yourself some credit- there is a heart condition called a PFO that can cause migraines. For now, I am getting good results from the diet, but I had considered getting worked up for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about your ongoing headaches!! That's awful. Has the glueten-free been helping? You are right it's hard. We have Bryson on it and we fail sometimes. We certainly notice his struggles when he eats Glueten/Cassien Products. His tantrums and energy levels are high when he has too much. Definitely effects the brain - I believe. You'll have to share some of your favorite recipes with us!!!

    ReplyDelete