Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Gluten Free Is The Way To Be...

at least as far as my headaches are concerned. I figured since I made the effort to write a big post about it, I should give an update. Since cutting out gluten, I have had one migraine this month. For a girl that used to measure time between headaches in days, that is huge. It was not uncommon to have headaches that would go on for days... it is a big relief.

Today I got a little reinforcement that I am doing the right thing. I felt a little "headachy" today, but I was kind of stuffy and had slept like crap last night, so I chalked it up to that. I took some sudafed and a maxalt (a medicine to help prevent/treat migraines) and went about my day without any problem. We were cooking dinner tonight and went to make some packaged mashed potatoes that we had last night also, and after reading the package we realized that they contained gluten. So, maybe it was a coincidence that I had the beginnings of a headache today, but I suspect it had to do with the potatoes. We pulled some raw potatoes out of the pantry and thanks to the magic of microwaves, ate dinner on schedule.

We have been doing a lot more cooking from scratch, which is probably healthier in the long run. And when I say we, I mean mostly Jer. He has been very supportive and has been working hard to find substitutions and keep food I can eat on hand. I have also mastered a yummy gluten-free cake, but am still working on bread and cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment