I am sure you are all happy to know I am not dead. I always have the intention of documenting activities, sharing my thoughts and opinions, and posting great little snap shots of life, but it just never comes to fruition.
I love my job most of the time. We all have those days/moments/times when we swear no amount of money is worth the stress and aggravation, but a large majority of time I truly love what I get to do everyday. Nursing is so interesting- you see and hear things that can make you laugh, make you cry, and make you scratch your head and say "seriously???". I am considering starting an anonymous blog to document some of those crazy stories in a way that protects confidentiality and does not violate any HIPPA laws. I would love to give a glimpse into some of things nurses deal with on a daily basis, but that is a pipe dream for another day.
Today I just wanted to share how amazing it is to really make a difference in a person's life. Working in L&D, I get to see miracles everyday, and share in a family's most special moments. And I am lucky for that. But every once in a while you get the chance to impact a life in a big way through what may seem a small act.
Yesterday I took care of a lovely, sweet woman in a less than ideal situation. She was basically alone during her whole labor, and I did my best to let her know that there was someone that cared. She may have not had any family or friends in the room with her, but she had me. Nothing remarkable happened during the course of the day, but I left feeling like I had taken care of her with love and respect.
After a very busy day today, I had just a few spare minutes and was able to stop and see her in postpartum. Sometimes this simple luxury is not possible, but today it worked out. Her face just lit up when she saw me. We talked for a few minutes, and as I went to leave I gave her a hug. Now, if you know me, I am not the "huggiest" person in the world, but I did it. And she hugged me back. For dear life. I am sure she felt so alone and sad in her circumstance, but I was able to ease her burden in a small way and make a difference to her. And that is why I do what I do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm in tears. I'm glad you were there for her. How have you been doing? You need to update - I like to hear from you. XOXOX
ReplyDelete